Friday, February 5, 2016

The Super Bowl and Human Trafficking

Welcome to my weekend blog hop -
Make My Saturday Sweet #161!


My blog is best viewed in Google Chrome.
Click on the images to view them larger.


Many Americans are getting excited about the upcoming Super Bowl. There are lots of great snack ideas for those who celebrate the event with friends and family. I found this board by Cathy Cummins on Pinterest. (I don't know her. I just chose her board from a Google Search.) I thought it might be a fun resource for some of my readers: Football - Super Bowl Recipes.

ham-cheddar-cheese-ball:
Source: Taste of Home

I don't watch a lot of sports and American football has never been one of my interests. And, if you live outside of the States, "football" means "soccer" to most people.

Below is a photo of our girls at the time of the Soccer World Cup in 2010. They are wearing their South African supporter clothes. Notice how Amanda's shirt says, "I Love Football," and the picture is of a soccer ball. We live close enough to Cape Town that we made sure to see at least one of the games. 

Sisters: Jessica, Amanda, and Samantha

Yesterday, I came across a news report about the darker side of the huge Super Bowl event, namely human trafficking. It's a $32 billion industry with 100,000 - 300,000 kids at risk in the U.S. Watch the video below to find out more.


We had the same problem in South Africa with a spike in human trafficking during the Soccer World Cup. It's modern-day slavery and it's on the rise. I found this excellent article on the topic with important facts and statistics: What is Human Trafficking?



*********************


I would like to take a moment to feature
a wonderful nonprofit organization called


"We've rescued hundreds of children enslaved around the world, helped keep hundreds more from entering the sex-trade through our various prevention programs, ensured justice for those that have been wronged and have raised awareness to untold numbers. And, we'll continue to expand to help reach even more children in the days ahead!"

Source: Destiny Rescue Facebook


You can get their updates on


*********************

My Latest Book Review:
Cora and the Nurse Dragon
New release by H.L. Burke!
Fantasy with substance
for ages 10 and up




*********************

Make My Saturday Sweet is a weekend blog hop for all family friendly blogs. You are welcome to link your favorite post from the past week(s) and to visit the last link before yours and leave a sweet comment. It's a really easy and fun way to make new friends and to catch up on old acquaintances.

Now on to my blog hop...

Amanda’s Books and More

It's time for another Make My Saturday Sweet blog hop!

Join me (your host) for this fun and easy hop.
All family friendly blogs are welcome!

If you host your own blog hop(s), then feel free to
link them on my Blog Hops page!

I would love for you to follow me on

Here are the easy rules:
  • Follow Tina (your host) on one or more links listed above.
  • Link up a post from your family friendly blog.
  • Please try to add my hop button on your post or side-bar.
  • Share about this hop on Twitter, Google+ or Facebook.
  • Visit the last link before yours and leave a sweet comment.
Blog Button Code:

Amanda’s Books and More

Weekend Linky

This is a blog hop!



Visit my Blog Hops page to see
what link parties I take part in.

© 2011 Amanda's Books and More, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena