Friday, September 11, 2015

Institute for the Blind - Part 1

Welcome to my weekend blog hop -
Make My Saturday Sweet #143!

This sweet garden has a bench swing too.
It's a place where the visually impaired who
live here can come and relax.

Institute for the Blind - Part 1

Let me briefly introduce myself. My name is Christina Morley. I am an American missionary, married to a South African, with four kids, living in South Africa. My blog, Amanda's Books and More, is based on our youngest child, Amanda, who is now seven years old.

As many of my readers already know, I am a volunteer at the Institute for the Blind in Worcester, South Africa. I read English material (exams, text books, novels, etc.) in a sound room at the Pioneer Printers where all the braille gets printed. Yesterday I was one of the guests at the AGM (Annual General Meeting) function. It was a great experience to see the new things they are doing, old things that have been improved on, and to hear testimonies of how people's lives have been changed.

I don't want to overwhelm you with too much information (or myself for that matter), so I'm doing this post in two parts. This is Part 1. I will share Part 2 next Friday.

The Blindiana Museum
and Coffee Shop

Some of yesterday's guests, like myself, began the morning with a tour of the Blindiana Museum and coffee shop. We were shown around by Ray Aukett, a very knowledgeable man who represents the Blind Institute and who is visually impaired, and by Ledivia Hamman, the coordinator at the Information Centre, including The Blind Spot (conference and event centre) Fossil Trail, and Museum.

Tourists and visitors are most welcome to contact the Institute for the Blind for a guided tour.

"At the Institute for the Blind, we don't stick to the confines of an institution. We are different, breaking the paradigm of traditional thinking. We are the central hub for blind progression in South Africa, and soon the world." - Freddie Botha (Executive Head)


My blog is best viewed in Google Chrome.
Click on the images to view them larger.


Ray Aukett

Louis Braille (1809 - 1852)

Development of Braille

Dictaphone

Clergyman Christiaan Rabie
(his original office and desk)
and a Remington typewriter

The Coffee Shop -
Blindiana Barista

Joseph Matheatau, the first blind
barista in South Africa, and
Ledivia Hamman, our tour guide

Joseph Matheatau - first blind barista
in South Africa

Tactile Fossil Trail

Ledivia was a great tour guide -
friendly and enthusiastic

The Tactile Fossil Trail

Fossils to touch with Braille plaque

Tactile Museum -
Geological Exhibition





"The Institute is a place of learning, development and progression; for those with sight and without. We would like to change how the world sees the blind, and how the blind see the world." - Freddie Botha (Executive Head)

I will also be sharing this content in the future on my travel blog, 1camera1mom.


*********************

My Previous Post:

Last Saturday, we took a walk in the veld near our house to look at the variety of wildflowers that are springing up everywhere. The photos below are just a small peek, so be sure to click on the link if you missed it!

Walking Among the Wildflowers

Beautiful delicate wildflowers

Gorgeous robust wildflowers

This is Amanda

This is our dog, Benny

*********************

Last Weekend's Post:
with two inspirational YouTube videos!


*********************


Blog Buttons


*********************

Make My Saturday Sweet is a weekend blog hop for all family friendly blogs. You are welcome to link your favorite post from the past week(s) and to visit the last link before yours and leave a sweet comment. It's a really easy and fun way to make new friends and to catch up on old acquaintances.

Now on to my blog hop...

Amanda’s Books and More

It's time for another Make My Saturday Sweet blog hop!

Join me (your host) for this fun and easy hop.
All family friendly blogs are welcome!

If you host your own blog hop(s), then feel free to
link them on my Blog Hops page!

I would love for you to follow me on
I'm also now on Instagram!

Here are the easy rules:
  • Follow Tina (your host) on one or more links listed above.
  • Link up a post from your family friendly blog.
  • Please try to add my hop button on your post or side-bar.
  • Share about this hop on Twitter, Google+ or Facebook.
  • Visit the last link before yours and leave a sweet comment.
Blog Button Code:

Amanda’s Books and More

Weekend Linky

This is a blog hop!

Visit my Blog Hops page to see
what link parties I take part in.

8 comments:

  1. Wow a blind barista! This is the first time I've heard of one. Thank you for sharing with me on this. I hope you have a great weekend!

    Ai @ Sakura Haruka

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Intense Debate comments have disappeared on this post. Thank you to everyone who left a comment! I will be adding your comments back to this thread manually.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Sarah Eliza
    This is so fascinating! Thank you for sharing. :)
    My recent post FREE and FUN Friday Linky Blog Hop Party! Link-Up Humor, Smile-Worthy Posts, Giveaways, Free Stuff, and more! http://devastateboredom.blogspot.co.za/2015/09/free-and-fun-friday-linky-blog-hop.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. From Fran at TravelGenee.com
    Thanks for running this party. Iced added you to my feedly so next time I'm lazy in bed I can check out for for hops and join in. Loved the post about your tour.
    My recent post National Family History Month GeneaGala Google Plus Hangout Time Check
    http://travelgenee.com/geneagala-google-plus-hangout-time-check/

    ReplyDelete
  5. From Patrick Weseman
    Very nice. I have been teaching the blind for the last 19 years. Email me at csuhpat1@gmail.com. I would love to chat with you about working with the blind.
    My recent post A Look at Three Churches http://csuhpat1.blogspot.co.za/2015/09/a-look-at-three-churches.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. From Karren Haller
    I love all the trips that you share and the places that you and your family go!!
    Thanks for hosting this week Tina, appreciate you!!
    My recent post Friday Features Linky Party 24 http://ohmyheartsiegirl.com/friday-features-linky-party-24/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your doing a great job Christina :) lovely pictures..

    Thanks for sharing at the weekend blog hop

    ReplyDelete
  8. Christina, thank you for sharing this with us. I never knew anything about who/how Braille was created and I find it fascinating how it works and how effective it is. What a wonderful creation! It reminds me of "closed caption" for those hard of hearing. Cece Bell said it changed her world!

    P.S. This is Donna from WriterSideUp. Mentioning it 'cause the captcha didn't shoe (I'm not a robot) unless I was "anonymous."

    ReplyDelete

© 2011 Amanda's Books and More, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena